Are you tired of “the grind”? Are you looking for work-life harmony? Do you want to feel valued for advocating for growth, and be empowered to work more effectively? If that sounds like the kind of environment in which you would thrive, keep reading!
At Trumpet, we create technology and automation for small and medium-sized businesses that people can’t help but “trumpet” about. You will be a part of a talented team that is passionate about liberating people from unfulfilling work tasks. Here, your opinion not only counts, but is expected.
In your new role at Trumpet
You are a critical contributor to the success of the entire Trumpet organization. Trumpet relies heavily on our technology tools, and we are looking for someone who thrives on delivering an amazing experience to our internal team, so together we can deliver an amazing experience to our clients. You will be Trumpet’s first internal IT-focused team member (until now, we have relied solely on outsourced IT support), so there is a huge opportunity to make your mark and really own a critical piece of a company that is poised for growth.
You will have three major responsibilities:
- Help us transform our business by implementing processes and tools to help our team better enjoy the way we work. This will include off-the-shelf on-prem and cloud tools, as well as working with developers to create tools to meet our specific needs.
- Ensure that our technology evolves to meet Trumpet's needs as we grow. You will be expected to envision and advocate for the evolution of Trumpet's information systems and IT strategy into the future.
- Manage Trumpet’s information systems (applying updates, diagnosing issues, setting up systems for new employees). There will be requests for support – but our team is tech savvy, so requests will often be challenging and unique – no “the cupholder isn’t working” here!
The ideal candidate
- Has a vision for how an effective IT department functions and is excited about advocating for that vision.
- Is an exceptional problem solver.
- Is able to juggle multiple priorities without dropping balls.
- Likes learning new things and is not afraid of digging into things they don’t already know.
- Relishes their role as a service provider and believes deeply in creating an amazing experience for their internal customers.
- Enjoys collaboration and teaching others to “fish” – the last thing you want is your users dependent on you!
- Is constantly looking for ways to monitor and improve the health of the systems they manage.
- Thinks deeply about root cause when something breaks, and won't settle for band-aid solutions.
- Has experience with managing server clusters, Hyper-V, and Docker or other container-based deployment solutions.
- Is interested in working collaboratively with development to design the best overall systems.
- Can create and executing maintenance schedules for all of Trumpet’s IT systems.
- Can forecast and manage IT budgets.
- Has an MCSE or similar certification.
- Has familiarity with SQL and basic database administration (MariaDB, MS SQL Server).
- Is available for some off-hours work to perform maintenance and resolve emergency issues when necessary.
Who you are not
- Someone who prefers to work alone and avoid collaboration.
- Someone who is okay putting band-aids on problems.
- Someone who struggles to create and adhere to a schedule and consistently execute routine processes.
- Someone who struggles to finish the last 3% of a project.
- Someone who wants to work in a large IT organization.
What you'll be working on
Trumpet has a diverse IT environment. You will either work directly on these systems or hire and manage outside IT services to fill any areas that are not your strong suit (for example, we use outside consultants for performing annual penetration testing).
The following is a taste of the systems in use at Trumpet:
On Premise (one site):
- Hyper-V cluster w/ JBOD running 22 VMs
- 7 Windows Servers (including 2 DCs)
- 12 Linux servers (FreePBX, Apache Tomcat, Jenkins deployment, SVN source control, Docker containers)
- ~20 Windows 10 workstations and laptops
- Amazon Web Services Linux instances running products
- Co-located hardware used for backup and disaster recovery
- Microsoft O365 and Azure
Your work will include:
- Infrastructure management
- Creating automation
- Performance monitoring/alerting
- Security, access/authentication control and RBAC design
- Working with developers to ensure tooling is effective and build/deployment is efficient
- Proactive maintenance
- Responding to internal support requests (and making recommendations on how to prevent that request from coming up again)
- Setting up new virtual machines
- Planning and installing new hardware
- Forecasting expenses and managing budget
- Working with the Operations team to roll out new technology initiatives
- Managing ISPs, software subscriptions, and other technology providers
- Maintaining cybersecurity procedures and policies
- Staying on top of industry news and trends to ensure our systems and policies remain relevant
Your first three months
- You will work extensively with our current IT providers to learn the fundamentals of our infrastructure and Windows-based systems. From there, you will take over all internal support requests and managing issues to a timely resolution.
- You will learn about our various Linux systems and take over ongoing maintenance of all of Trumpet’s IT systems.
- You will prepare your vision for the future of Trumpet’s IT, along with proposed changes to IT budgets and forecasts, and present to senior management.
What's in it for you?
At Trumpet, we believe in finding harmony between work and play. We are a team of hard-working, fun-loving people that truly care about each other. Here are some of the ways that we live this value:
- We offer a competitive salary plus quarterly bonus.
- We offer group medical insurance and an IRA retirement plan with employer match.
- We do puzzles, we throw monkeys, we keep the fridge stocked with yummy treats and we nerd out on cool new technology. We also enjoy quarterly team fun days. Help us plan our next event!
- We provide an unlimited vacation policy and generous paid holiday schedule.
- We believe in transparency – we participate in open-book accounting and we empower all team members to take part in the strategic planning process.
- We provide consistent opportunities for growth and coaching, both professionally and personally.
- We are committed to creating impactful experiences for ourselves and our customers. We are proud of the Trumpet Class Service we provide, and our customer NPS reflects this commitment.
- We care about our community. We are an active Kiva lender, with loans funded in 65 countries and counting. We also love finding different ways to give back to the local Phoenix community via our annual day of giving, plus paid volunteer day.
- We celebrate mistakes and promote deep problem solving.
- We have a family-friendly environment and encourage team members to set a work schedule that is best for them.
- Relaxed dress code! 🚫👔
- We are proud to be certified as a 100% Great Place to Work®! Learn more here: https://www.greatplacetowork.com/certified-company/7012667
How to apply
Fill out the form below and we will contact you with next steps. Note: Only .pdfs will be accepted as part of the application. Please be sure your resume and cover letter are in .pdf format.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Please, no phone inquiries. Thank you!
Note: while this is typically an in-office position (with the opportunity to work from home on occasion, as needed), due to COVID-19, all Trumpeters are working remotely full time. When your work requires you to be physically in the office, you will be alone or with adequate space for social distancing. There are no expectations for anyone to return to the office until each person feels comfortable and safe doing so.